In April, Jim Montague of Control Design wrote an interesting article on Machine Mount I/O entitled “Machine-Mount I/O Go Everywhere.” I think the article makes some very good points as to the value of why someone wants to move from inside an enclosure, or controls cabinet, to mounting I/O products directly on the machine.
He summarizes, with the help of a number of industry experts, the below points:
- Same or Better control performance out of IP67 products versus IP20 products.
- Installation time alone “is reduced by a factor of 5 to 10”
- Assemble more controls equipment faster with the same people & workspace
- Smaller & Simpler components take up less real-estate on the machine
- Smaller Controls cabinets are needed
- Less terminations required 2 versus “4 or more” for one connection
- standard & simple quick disconnect i/o and network cables
Continue reading “Machine Mount I/O: Get out of the Cabinet”