In typical sensors all you get is ON or OFF… we just hope and assume that the prox is working, until something doesn’t work properly. The part is seated but the sensor doesn’t fire or the operator can’t get their machine to cycle. This can sometimes be tricky to troubleshoot and usually causes unplanned interruptions in production while the maintenance teams attempt to replace the sensor. On some recent customer visits on the east coast, I have had a number of interesting conversations about the customer’s need to collect more information from their sensors; specifically questions like:
- How do I know the sensor is working?
- How do I predict sensor failure?
- How do I know something has changed in the sensor application?
- How do I get my sensor to provide adaptive feedback?
- How do I plan preventative maintenance?
- How can I increase the overall equipment throughput?
- How can I increase my process reliability?
Continue reading “3 Production Problems Solved by Intelligent Sensors”